This page has been moved to http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch/Features - please go there for editing it.
Editing of the wiki pages on wiki.skolelinux.no/!DebianEdu/Documentation/Etch/* has been disabled, to avoid confusion.
We haven't removed them here (yet), so that old links still work. Please update your links.
New features in the "3.0r1 Terra" release 2007-12-05
- much improved documentation with updated translations to German, Norwegian Bokmal and Italian
- includes more than 40 bug fixes, improvements and security updates that came to our attentention after the 3.0r0 release
New features in the "3.0r0 Terra" release 2007-07-22
- Based on Debian 4.0 Etch released 2007-04-08.
- Graphical installer with mouse support
- Boot splash with usplash
- LSB 3.1 compatible
- Linux kernel version 2.6.18
- Support for SATA controllers and hard disks
- X.org version 7.1.
- KDE desktop environment version 3.5.5
OpenOffice.org version 2.0.
- LTSP5 (version 0.99debian12)
- Automatic tracking of installed machines using Sitesummary.
- Automatic configuration of munin using data from Sitesummary.
- Automatic version control of configuration files in /etc/ using svk.
- File systems sizes can be extended while the file system is mounted.
- Support automatically extending file system based on predefined rules.
- Local Device Support on thin clients.
- New processor architectures: amd64 (fully supported) and powerpc (experimental support, installation media only boots on the newworld subarchitecture)
- Multi-architecture DVD for i386, amd64 and powerpc
- Regression: the CD-install requires Internet access during installation. Previous versions could be installed from one CD without Internet access.
Regression: webmin is now removed from Debian because of problems supporting it. We've added a new web based user administration tool named lwat, which doesn't has the same functionality as wlus, the old user administration tool. But wlus requires webmin.
Regression: swi-prolog is not part of etch, but was part of sarge. The HowTo teach and learn Chapter describes how to install swi-prolog on etch.
Features in 2.0 release 2006-03-14
- Based on Debian 3.1 Sarge released 2005-06-06.
- Linux kernel version 2.6.8.
- XFree86 version 4.3.
- KDE version 3.3.
Features in "1.0 Venus" release 2004-06-20
- Based on Debian 3.0 Woody released 2002-07-19.
- Linux kernel version 2.4.26.
- XFree86 version 4.1.
- KDE version 2.2.
More information on older releases
More information on the older releases can be found at http://developer.skolelinux.no/info/cdbygging/news.html.